Trump responds to Putin’s remarks on Ukraine ceasefire

U.S. President Donald Trump commented on Russian President Vladimir Putin’s recent statement about a potential “30-day ceasefire” in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war.

Trump addressed the topic during a meeting with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte. Journalists reported that Trump referred to Putin’s statement as “very promising,” but he noted that it was not complete.

The President also expressed his readiness to talk to Putin directly to help ensure a ceasefire. Trump explained that his envoy, Steve Witkoff, is currently engaged in “serious negotiations in Russia” and is expected to meet with Putin soon.

“Hopefully Russia will do the right thing,” said President Trump.

Putin had earlier stated that he “agrees” with the U.S. proposal to halt hostilities but emphasized that the ceasefire must lead to “long-term peace.”

“We agree with the proposals to halt combat operations, but we believe this halt must be such that it leads to long-term peace and eliminates the root causes of the crisis,” Putin said.

Following a meeting in Saudi Arabia on March 11, Ukraine agreed to implement a 30-day ceasefire immediately, provided Russia also takes such a step.

Share this article
Shareable URL
Prev Post

Armenia confirms peace agreement with Azerbaijan is ready for signing

Next Post

Poverty risks remain high for Czechs, especially families with children

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read next