German Chancellor-designate accuses Trump of setting up Zelensky in Oval Office clash

Germany’s incoming chancellor, Friedrich Merz, claims last week’s heated confrontation between President Donald Trump and Ukrainian leader Vladimir Zelensky was no accident—it was staged by the U.S.

During Friday’s Oval Office meeting, Trump and Vice President J.D. Vance openly criticized Zelensky, with tensions erupting when the Ukrainian leader pushed back against Vance’s suggestion that negotiating with Russia was the only path to peace.

Merz told reporters in Berlin on Monday that the clash wasn’t a natural reaction to Zelensky’s comments but rather a “deliberate escalation” by Washington. He found the tone of the conversation surprising and counterproductive, adding that Germany must step up its own defense efforts and prove Europe can stand on its own.

Trump has been pressuring NATO allies to ramp up military spending and take on more responsibility for Ukraine’s war effort. After his party’s recent election victory, Merz echoed concerns that Europe can no longer depend on U.S. protection, stressing Germany’s need for greater independence from Washington.

Meanwhile, the Trump administration pushed back on claims that Zelensky was ambushed. National Security Adviser Mike Waltz dismissed the idea outright, calling it “absolutely false.” Secretary of State Marco Rubio blamed Zelensky for provoking the situation, accusing him of constantly trying to “Ukraine-splain” his stance.

Vance, speaking to Fox News, insisted Trump had remained diplomatic despite Zelensky’s attitude. “There was a lack of respect, a sense of entitlement,” Vance said, adding that the Ukrainian leader refused to engage in peace talks.

Following the spat, Trump cut Zelensky’s trip short, sending him packing from the White House. “He can come back when he’s ready for peace,” Trump posted on Truth Social afterward.

This latest blowup highlights the deep rift between Trump and Zelensky over how to end the Ukraine war. Trump has made securing a ceasefire a top priority, while Zelensky refuses to make concessions without security guarantees from Washington. However, Trump has ruled out NATO membership for Ukraine and won’t commit U.S. troops to any peacekeeping efforts.

Zdieľaj tento článok
ZDIEĽATEĽNÁ URL
Posledný Príspevok

White House demands public apology from Zelensky before resuming minerals deal – report

Ďalšie Články

CSU calls for immediate reintroduction of mandatory military service in Germany

Pridaj komentár

Vaša e-mailová adresa nebude zverejnená. Vyžadované polia sú označené *

Read next